Tuesday 5 May 2015

Vote for a New Deal for the Derbyshire Dales



We’re now just a matter of hours away from polling day. With my dedicated team, we’ve canvassed Matlock, Bakewell, Ashbourne and Baslow amongst other places, whilst my debates with the other candidates have taken me to Wirksworth, Eyam, Ashbourne, Bakewell and finally Matlock. Whatever the result on Thursday, I have discovered from this campaign just how well you can get through to people when you are committed to a passionate message.


I have been eager to highlight two points in my campaign; firstly, that I want a ‘New Deal for the Dales, and secondly that I want to encourage and involve young people. On the first point, I have unashamedly mimicked a political device used by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR). FDR was a huge influence for me, and one of the historical figures that launched my interest in politics in the first place. However, the New Deal also represented strong and meaningful reform in the face of vested interests. I’m not demanding a ‘New Deal for the Dales’ purely for rhetorical devices; that New Deal means a better government grant for the Dales (we get one of the lowest grants in the UK), so that services aren’t cut back here so severely, and investment can be made in key areas (one area I highlighted at the debates is that of the much needed Ashbourne bypass). Furthermore, the New Deal that I want also entails better wages (the wages here are the lowest in all of Derbyshire). These statistics come from the Derbyshire Dales District Council Economic Plan, and who are we to doubt the Tory-run District Council, Mr McLoughlin?!


The second key point which I mentioned is young people. Less than half of 16-24 year olds voted at the last General Election, compared with over 70% of people aged 65 and over. Russell Brand urges people not to vote in order to change this, but you get change by voting for change. As long as there is this apathy, policies from the political parties will continue to be skewed towards the crudely named ‘grey vote’. Fortunately, I’ve had good responses both from our election leaflet which highlights this, and also young people from canvassing and email responses. It’s my strong hope that, by standing for Parliament at the tender age of 22, I can encourage other young people to get involved. From interactions with people, my age has been a positive, and has often been seen as a welcome departure from the status quo.


The debates have been lively, especially the last debate in Matlock. They are great for democracy, and it’s good to see passion from the constituents. Two of the debates have been recorded (Wirksworth and Ashbourne), so I’m glad that my calls last year for screened debates have been heeded to a large extent. However, it’s a great shame that the debates couldn’t somehow be viewed by every household in the constituency; I think certain orthodoxies and assumptions would be challenged. The line-up for all but one of the debates has been as follows: me, Patrick McLoughlin (Conservative, and running for re-election), Andy Botham (Labour), Ian Wood (Green) and Amila Y’Mech (Humanity); Irene Ratcliffe stepped in for Botham at Bakewell, whilst John Young (UKIP) also attended the Bakewell debate. The questions have certainly been varied; the Eyam debate had very specific local questions (one question asked what our party’s policies were on the lack of HGV drivers!), whilst the Ashbourne debate didn’t have any local questions at all (despite my reference to the bypass). The award for the most interesting question was definitely at Matlock; “if elected, which law would you repeal, and which law would you enact?” For the record, I said that I’d repeal the bedroom tax, whilst enshrining into law minimum spending (and appointment) requirements for mental health in the NHS.


I have felt hugely encouraged by responses from constituents (via phone calls, emails and face to face interactions) with regards to our election leaflet. The election leaflet is so crucial, as Royal Mail deliver it free of charge to every household in the constituency (some 41,500 homes). You can view it on my website (www.benfearn.com), but I was keen to outline the New Deal and youth message, along with our party’s record in government. With this leaflet, a strong social media presence and good old fashioned canvassing in the streets (all of these aspects are crucial), I think we as a local party have done ourselves proud to fight for our values.


To those undecided or otherwise, I leave you with this final message. I know this constituency is a safe seat, and I’m at the tender age of 22. However, it’s an absolute privilege to have this opportunity to represent the Derbyshire Dales. I want to challenge the status quo, and to not take votes for granted. I want to fight for the Derbyshire Dales; please fight for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment